A trench is the perfect 'inbetweeny' coat and there are lots to choose from this season.
Of course, we have a few tips to keep you in style...
1. You don't have to stick to the traditional tan if it doesn't suit you. Navy is a good alternative. But there are so many other colours out there too. However, if you plan on having it in your in your wardrobe for years, stick to neutral colours as these have longevity and are more versatile. Camel is big for Autumn 2018.
2. If you're petite, try a cropped style which will balance your frame. One that ends on your hips or thigh length works best.
3. If belts don't work for you, tie it at the back. It will pull in the waist and give a little shape without highlighting the bits that you don't want to show.
4. Single or double breasted? If you're likely to fasten it, a double breasted style is very chic. However it doesn't look as good as a single breasted if left open. Consider how you're going to wear it.
5. Avoid flap pockets that are adorned with buttons if you carry your weight on your hips as they will draw the eye down to this area. Go for a style with side pockets instead.
6. Think about the fabrics you buy. Does it wrinkle? Most people tend to throw a trench over their arm or bag when it gets hot. Be careful not to end up looking wrinkly by buying a trench with high tech fibres which resist wrinkles.
7. Plaids and checks work well from Prince of Wales to tartans, pretty much any plaid is good for 2018. Of course, it helps to know your body shape and then you can decide which plaid or check will work for you.
8. Animal prints are back and look amazing in a trench coat. Instantly makes your outfit an outfit. Why not try something new like a snake print.
9. Glossy fabrics with shine such as a patent leather will not only look good but be perfect for an actual rainy day.
10. Go for a tweed and use textures to maximise your trench coat chic. Wear with a leather or pleather skirt to get the latest 2018 autumn look.
Still not sure what is best for you? Get in touch with us here for a personal one-to-one colour and style advice makeover. Click here to learn more about makeovers? It's fun!